Friday, January 27, 2012

Final Corset Picks

I've finally decided on the final corsets I wanted to make. I feel like these final decisions are strong because they are based on shape, style and how they fit with the context of the character.

Princess Colour:

This was my original pick for her corset. It was late 19th century and a simple shape.


From the Met Museum Website. Date: 1871, A/N: 2009.300.3104 a-c
Salen, J. (2008). Corsets: Historic Patterns and Techniques. London: Batsford Ltd.

This is the corset I have decided to make for Princess Colour. It is still 19th century but a little earlier and a more interesting shape. I think this corset provides a different challenge from the one above. It does not have cut outs but instead has cording (something I have never done) and bust and hip inserts (something I also have never done). I think it will be an interesting challenge and a great portfolio piece. It also give me the chance to still do some decorative stitching and adorn with a little lace. I think this will also be good silhouette because it is a softer more feminine curve.

Princess Silhouette:


This was my original pick for Princess Silhouette's corset. It is oddly more like the corset I am now making for Princess colour. It is from the mid-19th century.




From the Met Museum Website. Date: 1839,  A/N: C.I. 38.23.10 b-d



 Kyoto Costume Institute (2002). Fashion: A History from the 18th Century to 20th Century. 
Hong Kong: Taschen.
Waugh, N. (1954) Corsets and Crinolines. Great Britain: Routledge/ Theatre Art Books.

I couldn't find one example of what I am making so the first image is one that I think is very close to what I am making and the second is the actual pattern I am using. This is quite a change from what I was originally planning on making, it is actually an entire century difference. Instead of 19th century this is an 18th century corset. Through talks with my tutor and working on character context I think this is a much better fit for Princess Silhouette. It will create a more dramatic shape but still fit in with the silhouette of the illustration. It also ties in with keeping this Princess on the more traditional side but still be very daring. The opulence of rococo fashion is something I might look into bringing in the dress and this corset ties in so well with that idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment