Saturday, December 3, 2011

Breaking Down the Trousers in the Studio: Part 2

After my new experience of air-brushing and breaking down I showed Rose my trousers and putties from the previous day. She was pleased with the progress on the breaking down. She said that I didn't have to do much more on the trousers, and it might be worth it to wait and see what they say in the dress parade. However she did say that the putties might need more work, and I agreed. She suggested putting some splatters on them as well, which is something I hadn't really thought of. I used the same dye as the air-brushing to make the spatters so it stayed in the same dye colour range and simply flicked a small paint-brush over the putties to look like drips and splatters. 

Putties drying after splattering and more air-brushing.
After creating the spatters I wanted to make sure they blended in and didn't stand out too much. I also thought they should be a bit darker since they would attract the most mud and dirt. I am pleased with the putties after being broken down. I think they are very successful. When I was dying these I had done a little research on the putties and remembered them tying with a string on one end. I decided to dye some cotton tape while I was in the dye room to make sure I had everything I would need and that it would be the same colour/fit in with the puttees.These are the lengths of cotton tape I worked with and I am pleased with the end result. I think it will blend in and be very functional with the puttees.

Cotton tape 
Cotton tape dyed












Close up of air-brushing on trousers

Close up of air-brushing on trousers
After finishing the puttees I brought up the trousers again to do just a little more air-brushing. This time I didn't put them on the legs, instead just laid them flat because I wanted to target certain areas. I focused on the waist line, the pockets, and the button front. I didn't make the dye very dark (added more water than dye) because I didn't want it to be too bold of a difference.

Soldier Costume before the Dress Parade

Close up of trouser leg and puttee before Dress Parade. 
Evaluation: I think this second day of breaking down was very productive. I am much happier with the puttees now that they are darker.I think it will add more to the trousers and the over-all look. Adding the splatters really make a difference and I am pleased with how they look. The trousers I am also pleased with. I am apprehensive to see how they look on the actor and how they look under the stage lights. I've never under-taken a large project of breaking down before I didn't want to go too over-board before seeing everything on the actor. I can easily tell where I've been breaking down, but that is probably because I am working so closely on each piece, I am ready to hear what they look like to a different audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment