Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Final Evaluation

            In completing the Soldier’s costume and the Narrator’s waistcoat for The Soldier’s Tale I have learned about the importance of context for making the costume, improved my technical skills in sewing and pattern making, and experienced working on a live show. One of the most important things I have learned on this project is the importance of context to the costume. This project was unlike any I had done at the AUCB so far. My costume design was unique to a specific character which meant I had to really focus on the story and the characters role within it so the costume would be successful. Looking through the designer’s sketchbook was very helpful, as was looking at pictures from the time. Images from WW1 are particularly powerful because they show the suffering and struggle for the soldiers and they helped me better understand what Stravinsky was influenced by when he was writing the show. I do wish I would have pushed myself more to look and read the script or find a recording to listen to; that is something I will keep in mind for the next live show I work on. The other import thing I learned about context is that it isn’t defined just to book and image research. In order to better understand breaking down I had a friend wear my costume and run through the woods. This was helpful for me to see where on the costume got the most wear and dirt. We also tried to do things that a travelling soldier might do, like crawl or sit in the grass. All of these activities helped me understand, possibly, what my character was going through the kind of stress his clothing would be under in day to day life and that was extremely important contextual research.
            Improving my technical skills has also been a huge part of the project. I did a great deal more of pattern making in this unit than the previous one and that gave me the chance to improve those skills. I was able to challenge myself with using historical patterns and research, something I have never done; and then to also return after fittings and make changes and alterations. Creating the pattern for the trousers was a particularly successful venture that started with a tailored trouser pattern but first hand research at History in the Making led me to use a historical pattern and free hand my own design line changes. Once I gained the knowledge from History in the Making and historical research I was able to discuss with the designer and include contextual design changes that better fit the character. This project has also taught me to cope with many alterations after fittings. In my last unit I made costumes that were not for a specific person but for a hire house, working on this project I had to both technically and aesthetically complete the design. Having fittings with the designer, director, actor, and tutors was at points an overwhelming experience, but having my finished project I can see that the criticism was constructive in completing the design. This is clearly evident in the journey the soldier’s shirt took. The toile shirt and the shirt at the first fitting were just shirts; they didn’t quite fulfill the design although they were technically correct. The changes after the first fitting were intimidating but at the end of the project working out the alterations to complete a shirt that was a design feature and not just a shirt was extremely rewarding and instructive. The waistcoat contained many technical challenges due to the pattern and weight of the wool. It held less of a challenge contextually but out of all the garments it was the most technically challenging despite the fact that I’ve made a checked tailored waistcoat before. It gave me a lot more confidence in my tailoring abilities.
            Working on a live project has been an important aspect to this unit and really given me a look at how working in the industry might be. I really enjoyed working with the designer Rose, I feel she had the right amount of diplomacy. I felt comfortable coming to her with questions and felt equally as comfortable coming to her with research and ideas. I felt I had support from the team I was working with although I still maintained my independence which I greatly appreciated. I also enjoyed my opportunities to work with Kokoro throughout the project. Being able to say I’ve worked with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra is an impressive addition to my portfolio and a great life experience. I have tried to work professionally whenever I have been helping with any aspect of this project, be it course members or outside contributors. I also think maintaining my blog has contributed to this live project. Being a maker doesn’t always mean I will be a dresser and interact with the performers, but having a blog kept me connected with the industry. It also gave me a chance to create an individual way of presenting my work that I can carry on with after I graduate.
I am extremely proud of all I have accomplished in this unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment