Thursday, April 5, 2012

Laser Cutting Designs

Now that I had done my laser cutting trial I was ready to create the designs I actually wanted to laser cut. There were motifs used in the illustration but they weren't very clear and since this is an interpretation I wanted to take it a step further. I decided to take my inspiration from lots of different places. Here are some of the designs I took inspiration from:
Fairclough, O., Leary, E. (1981) Textiles by William Morris and Co. 1861-1940. Great Britian: Thames and Hudson.

Fairclough, O., Leary, E. (1981) Textiles by William Morris and Co. 1861-1940. Great Britian: Thames and Hudson.

Fairclough, O., Leary, E. (1981) Textiles by William Morris and Co. 1861-1940. Great Britian: Thames and Hudson.

Wall paper from the Wallace Collection Museum
A lot of my inspiration comes from William Morris and Co and textiles from the Arts and Crafts Movement. I suppose it isn't just coincidence that they are some of my favourite textiles but I also think this is an appropriate fit for the character. For me these designs both look to the future and the past. They feel modern and antique at the same time and I really feel like that is appropriate for a Princess of Nowhere.


After much time spent in Illustrator here is my file that I will be laser cutting. I did all the small designs individually then compiled them onto a file that will be the size of the laser cutter. I'll cut my fabric (with the transfer adhesive) to the size of the laser bed as well. This way I will hopefully get as many designs out of one piece of fabric. (Sorry it is a bit light, it needs to have a really thin line in illustrator to cut so it's a bit difficult to see!)

No comments:

Post a Comment