Thursday, May 5, 2011

Creating the Sleeve Openings

Sleeve opening, first or second attempt


Finished sleeve opening as it should  function

Sleeve opening on a almost put together sleeve
Creating the openings in the sleeve on the blouse has been a challenge for me. After investigating the sample shirt we were given I realized several things about this opening. It did not sit on the seam like I had originally thought and although the example was all machine sewn I (on the advice of our tutor) should use both machine sewing and hand-sewing. This opening was similar to the skirt placket we had made in fundamental studies first year and so I used that basic technique. Evaluating it now, I wish I would have made a sample first just to experience it and work out all the kinks. My first attempt was not a success and my second and third was okay but not great. With a good press they should be fairly neat. It was a worth-while lesson to learn about taking your time and making small samples of techniques you’re not used to doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment