Monday, May 9, 2011

Shirt Pattern

Originally Diagram given by The National Theatre

My re-drawn diagram with calculated measurements
Today I began cutting out the male shirt for the National Theatre Hire Department. This was a completely new process for me since there was no pattern, but rather a graph as our pattern. Deciphering this graph proved to be the hardest part about cutting out this shirt. There weren’t many measurements or formulas to figure out the measurements. Some of the bigger pieces like the shirt front and sleeves were given as approximately finished sizes but only horizontal estimations not vertical. It was also difficult because although it was drawn on graph paper it wasn’t scaled down exactly. Meaning that they wrote the finished sleeve should be approximately 20 inches but the sleeve on the graph took up about 23.5 boxes. So I couldn’t even count the boxes to get the measurements. Instead I decided that the sleeve piece was a square so it was labeled as approx. 20inch when finished so it was a 20” by 20” square. Using that I gauged the rest of the pieces using how they related in size to the sleeve. As well as taking measurements from the finished shirt we were given as an example I drew out my own graph to cut out my pieces. It was a simple series of cutting squares and rectangles after that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment