Tuesday, January 17, 2012

EMP Project Proposal


 For my EMP I am choosing to do my own project. I would like to make two costumes based on Sarah Gibb’s illustrations in the children’s book The Princess Who Had No Kingdom.  The illustrations are creative and distinctive; they give a suggestion of cut, texture, and pattern without being definitive. I will be creating the two different styles of the Princess, the colour and the black and white ;by creating an interpretation of these ‘designs’ I will be pushing my creative and interpretive skills to a new level.  I will also be able to experiment with a lot of different techniques such as laser cutting, applique, embroidery, dying, and possibly lace making. To accompany these costumes and my portfolio I will be making historical undergarments to go under each costume to create more of silhouette. This project will push me technically and creatively. The historical undergarments will give me a chance to improve my patterning and sewing ability to a high level. Creating the costumes over the historical garments will give an opportunity to explore draping, something I have not yet done, and then transfer that to a paper pattern and garment. Interpreting the design will increase my understanding and skill in surface decoration and various techniques. Using an illustration as a design is also a good experience in interpreting a design, taking into account its contextual base and its functionality. It will be a valuable experience as a freelance maker in getting a design, creating the vision without having a designer available every step of the way. I feel that this is a challenging and adventurous project that will increase my technical abilities and challenge my interpretive skills.



All Images From:  Gibb, S. and Jones, U. (2009). The Princess Who Had No Kingdom. London: Orchard Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment