Tuesday, October 4, 2011

SP Introduction to Project


Initial Meeting with: Designer: Rosalie Tyack, Supervisor: Grace Mortlock, and fellow Makers: Anushka Tay, Beth James, and Emily Hudson.
Front Cover of Histoire Du Soldat. (n.d.) [Online image]. Available from:
[Accessed 18 October, 2011].



Our first official meeting for A Soldier’s Tale was very exciting. It was an opportunity to meet with the Designer: Rose, and the Supervisor: Grace, and my fellow makers: Anushka, Beth and Emily. We started by listening to a description and summary of the show by Rose and then a look at her costume designs, as well as, a brief explanation of the set. This was our opportunity to ask questions and to also get to know more of the show than just the costumes. We discussed dates, the interaction with the orchestra, short documentary on the making of, and the music. Mostly we discussed the costumes and Characters. Here is a small brief description for each character:
Narrator- wears a three piece suit of the era with many pockets to store props, remains the same throughout the show
Soldier- wears a men’s shirt, WWI army trouser, and changes slightly throughout the show.
Devil- wears a body suit with added hips, cape and breast plate, and has 5 to 6 costume changes (quick changes) most of those will be sourced.
Princess- a flowing dress with lots of movement based on the era but not a re-creation,           and remains the same throughout the show.
 After looking over the designs we were allocated what we were to make. I am making the soldier’s uniform (shirt, trousers, and gaiters). I will also be making the waistcoat for the Narrator. We exchanged contact information and set about doing some research.
These are the two designs by Rosalie Tyack that I will be making. I will be making all of the Soldier's costume including, trousers, shirt and putties. For the narrator I will only be making the waistcoat. For more information on Rose's designs you can follow her blog here: http://rosebudcostumeblog.blogspot.com/

Evaluation: I felt like this first meeting was very successful. I had a limited knowledge of the show and what it entailed. It gave me a better understanding of the context of the costume within the show and the importance of my character. It was also helpful to talk to my fellow makers and know what they are working on so we can stay focused as a team throughout this live project. It was a good starting point because we received the dates of the show and the hand in deadline with the design and I could already begin thinking about a timeline. Although not every specific of each costume was discussed it gave me enough information to guide my research. Rose was able to put it in the context of: WWI, soldier from the British Army, costume/uniform is very worn. I was able to do my research (the next step) looking for images/patterns that were more specific but not restricting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment