Sunday, October 16, 2011

Line Drawings

Here are my line drawings for the costumes I will be making. I've tried to make them as detailed as possible including structural information like darts and pockets.

Line Drawing: Waistcoat
Trousers with pleat and braces; shirt and putties
Trousers without pleat but still with braces; shirt and putties

For the soldier's uniform I've done two line drawings. It is challenging finding research for the trousers ecspeically at the waist. In the research I have found they were either worn with braces or worn with belts but not typically both. So I have just done line drawings with braces because it fits more with my research. I have also drawn one that is baggier in the trousers and looks more like Rose's design and the second is more of what I saw at History in the Making with a flat front. At this point since I am not sure about the trousers I will need to have a meeting with Rose to see what she would actually like to be included. This is important meeting to define exactly what she had envisioned because different features will need to be considered when making my costume (as I will be making fastenings in the trousers for the braces and if I need loops for a belt).


Evaluation: I feel like these drawings are successful. I feel they are a good mix between a technical drawing and the design I was given. I usually find line drawings difficult to do because I'm not strong in my figure drawing. I used a template that I had created for my summer project, and I found that more successful. By starting with a finished form I could concentrate on the proportions and the details of the garments more closely. I think this is a good first line drawing but I can see more to follow. I think as I look at my pattern research I may want to do a more line-drawings of the garments I will be working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment