Monday, October 17, 2011

Second Meeting with Rose (the Designer)

After my trip to History in the Making I scheduled another meeting with Rose. I had a few questions about how to take the historical research for the trousers that I had gained from my trip and combine that to create her design. For the talk I had all my research images ready and a few ideas.

My main question (briefly) was: Would you like the trousers to be historical or theatrical? There were a few components to this questions that concerned different aspects of her design. In my research I hadn't found an image where both a belt and braces were being worn. And the trousers in her design seemed to possibly have a pleat in the front which we could do but might not be historical.

My idea/ suggestion as a maker was: To combine both my historical research and her contextual research of the character. To keep the button fly, the size of the pockets, ect, but to exaggerate different elements like width and fullness.

Our discussion: In talking to Rose we decided to go with a combination of historical research and contextual research. She wanted the trousers to look over-sized (but not foolish) like he had been wearing them for a while. We also decided that for the character both a belt and braces were appropriate. As for the size and the question of a pleat, I recommended not adding a pleat, which Rose agreed with, and instead we both decided on making the trouser slightly larger than they would be if they were fitted perfectly. Basically a half size to a full size too big. That way the volume at the waist will be indicated, as in the design, with the help of the belt but the trousers will be secure with the braces.

Evaluation: I feel like this meeting went very well and that it was useful for Rose and I. I got all my questions answered and I feel confident that I can produce a toile and then finished product that fulfills her design/vision. I also think it was useful having all my research there and having a list of questions and then possible solutions to bring with me. I feel like in other meetings with designers for other projects I was asking questions before I had gathered enough research. As a freelance maker or as a maker in a hire house having a lot of research and knowledge to accompany your questions will be just as important as knowing the right questions to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment