Wednesday, October 19, 2011

First Waistcoat Fitting

Waistcoat front

Waistcoat back

Alterations on neck

I am very pleased with how my first fitting went. In our previous tailoring unit we never went through a fitting stage so I was apprehensive for my first fitting. I could cut the backing out of silesia for the fitting and although you wouldn't normally I added an extra 5cm to the hem line of the back, just for the room to make alterations. I also didn't bag-out my backs for the fitting but chose to tack them (top fabric and lining) together for the same affect. My fronts were made out of calico, this was very helpful in understanding the proportions, fit and design features. I had tacked in all my design lines for Rose to examine. Overall the fit on the waistcoat was good. There was just a little pull from the neck down but was easily remedied moving the neck line over from the neck to allow for ease. The hem at the back was correct length so that needed no alterations. The pockets and the front hem/design line were the only other things to change. The pocket sat a little too high so it was moved down to have the upper corner touch the waistline. The front hem was also shaped more to look like the design.

Evaluation:

This was a very positive first fitting. I feel like this is a good starting point for completing my waistcoat. The fit was good and there were only a few design lines to adjust. I think I could have focused more on Rose's design and drawn the fronts more to the shape in the design. I think I got a little too focused on looking at historical research and making sure it fit that rather than fit the design. I feel confident making these alterations and cutting out my waistcoat fronts although I know the checked fabric will be a challenge. I am very satisfied with this first fitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment