Saturday, November 26, 2011

Finishing the Trousers

Leather Trousers from Costume Store
Once I had bagged out my lining to the waist of my trousers I to attach the lining to around the button stand. This was something that needed to look neat and not get in the way of the buttons. My tutor found this pair of leather trousers that were lined the knee for me to look at. Although they used a zipper fly, finishing off the lining has the same principle so it was a helpful garment to look at. I also looked at how they attached the lining to the trousers around the knee. They did a tack at the seams; however I will be doing a swing-catch so there is still movement but they don't bunch up when he moves.
Leather Trousers from Costume Store

I started to finish off the button stand/lining by using a herringbone stitch to hold down the seam allowance on both stands. I stopped before I got to the curves. I might not have had to do this but I think it will hold down that extra bit of seam allowance and I was careful to not let the stitching show on the outside. Then I careful folded over the lining to just cover the stitching on the button stand. Then slip stitched the whole way around. 
Finished stand and lining close-up

Full View finished stand and lining

Full view of trousers inside out 

Evaluation: I wasn't completely on board for lining the trousers when my tutor told me I had to. But I really think it finishes off the trousers to a higher standard, as well as, being more comfortable for the wearer. It also gave me some advantages like just being able to bag out around he waist line so everything lays nice and neat. Getting the lining to sit flat around the button stand was a little tricky and took some time to get flat. I don't think this would have been as successful if it wasn't on a stand. Having it on the form helped me keep it smooth without pulling it while at the same time making sure it was tight enough and not too baggy. I think this makes the inside of the trousers look very neat and clean and I am happy with the final result.


No comments:

Post a Comment