Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Shirt Button Front Samples

Button Stand Sample

Button Stand Sample Button and Button Hole Sides

Now that it was decided to make a full button stand it was time to decide how to do it. There was a shirt found in the Costume Store that was being worn by the Narrator so I used that as a reference. By looking at the button stand they had done it completely different from how would have done it. I decided to make to button-hole sides in samples to see which method was easier, faster, and looked the best.
Button Hole Side A
Button Hole Side A: This sample is done to how I thought it should be done. I cut my button stand fabric and tacked down the middle and added 1/2 inch the whole way around. The I put right sides together and machined straight down on the center front line (with seam allowance). The I pressed it and opened it flat to so I could see the seam. Then folded over the free side of the button stand about 1/2 inch. Then folded over the whole button-stand so that it sat on the top side and making sure the seam was rolled to sit on the underside. Then tacked down the folded edge of the button stand and machined a line straight down and close to edge and did the same on the center front edge.

Button Hole Side B

Button Hole Side B: This one is done how they did it on the other shirt. First the center front of the shirt is folded over 1/2inch so that the raw edge sits on the right side of the fabric. Then the button stand is created by simply pressing over 1/2inch on both sides. Then tacking or very carefully pinning the stand on the right side of the shirt. Then machine straight down, close to the edge on both sides of the button stand. Being careful on the center front to catch the folded shirt edge in the stitching line while keeping it straight. 

Evaluation: Both of these sides are sturdy and look neat and clean. I do prefer side B because I feel like it stands out more and looks more authentic. To be honest unless you were really inspecting them there isn't much difference in the finished result, and it certainly wouldn't be noticeable to an audience in a theatre. I do think this was a useful sample to try because it means I came up with my own way of doing something and tested it. I also now have another great sample for my portfolio.


No comments:

Post a Comment