Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Princess Colour Research

Before I begin creating the dress I needed to do some research about what I wanted the base of the costume to look like and the general silhouette. Since the corset was 19th Century this is what I have mostly looked at. I knew it needed to have a fitted bodice and a full skirt and there were many images that fit what I was looking for. I wanted images that had really clear seams so I could get just the right shape.


Gibbs-Smith, C. (1960) The Fashionable Lady in the 19th Century. London: Butler and Tanner Ltd.
 I was really drawn to this illustration by how perfect the silhouette is for my design. The rounded neck, (although maybe a little low), the small waist with full skirts. I also really like the layered effect it's showing in the skirts. Mine will be shorter with many more layers but there is an echo of my costume in these fashion plates. Ecspecially the dress on the left with the triangle over skirt.
Lambert, M. (1991) Fashion in Photography 1860-1880. London: B.T. Batsford.
 I found this photograph extrememly appealing in relating it to my costume. It is from the right era and therefore the shape is correct, rounded neck, small waist, fuller skirt. But what I am really looking at is the neck-line. Paired with the necklace it is a lovely ensemble. The decoration is something I want to really put on my dress and this might be a good starting point.
Johnston, L. (2005) Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail. London: V&A Publications.
 This is a great image for really in-depth research of the shape and lines of the bodice. They are very clearly seen in these two photographs. I like the differences in the two as well. The top one has a great neck-line and good seaming but I don't like how the bodice is cut off at the waist. The bottom one is almost exactly what I want to do. The shape of the lines on the front are really appealing and the neck-line isn't too low but may be a little wide. And I really like how the bodice is shaped on the bottom, with a gentle curve to a point. This is great research for patterns.
Stills From: Vallee, J. (2009) The Young Victoria. [Digital Video Disc]. United Kingdom: GK Films.
I have gathered these images from The Young Victoria. I think it is good to look at some contemporary historical films to get ideas. This film was especially good because it let me see lots of different dresses of the same time to I could really pick details I liked ad details maybe I didn't like so much.

All My Favourites:

Before I began draping I really wanted to compile one image I could print that would have all the images I really wanted to include in my dress. Although I gathered a lot of images that I felt were relevant these were the ones I really felt expressed what I wanted my bodice to look like. The central image shows the layered effect and lightness I am looking for. The top right image is perfect for shape and line while draping and adjusting my patterns. The top left image is also heavily decorated at the neck which fits and the little sleeves are some-what similar. The bottom two images give me options and ideas for the neck and decoration. And all these images have the silhouette I am looking for, very slim to the waist with a full skirt. I think these images will be especially helpful when creating my bodice.

Above Image:
Top Right: Lambert, M. (1991) Fashion in Photography 1860-1880. London: B.T. Batsford.
Top Left: Arnold, J. (1964) Patterns of Fashion I: English Woman's Dresses and Their Construction
                    C.1660-1860. Great Britain, MacMillan Publisher's Ltd.
Centre: Kyoto Costume Institute. (2002). Fashion: A History from 18th to 20th Century. Hong Kong:
                    Taschen
Bottom Left: Gibbs-Smith, C. (1960) The Fashionable Lady in the 19th Century. London: Butler and
                     Tanner Ltd.
Bottom Right: Kyoto Costume Institute. (2002). Fashion: A History from 18th to 20th Century. Hong
                      Kong: Taschen

No comments:

Post a Comment