Sunday, February 26, 2012

London Fabric Trip

Although I mostly shopped locally for the fabrics for my underwear I planned a day in London for fabric shopping. I felt it was important to have a lot of variety and many different textiles to create the two top dresses. I knew Gold-hawk road would be sure to have a lot of choice and allow me to stay within budget. I allowed £150 to spend on fabrics in London.

To assist me while I was shopping I made these two print outs to take, rather than taking the whole book, so I could have a solid reference.

I think I may have been a bit ambitious in how many colours are in both dresses but it was a very helpful thing to have in my bag, throughout the day, to help me stay on task.

I am usually stressed when fabric shopping, always thinking about what the designer wants. However, since I am mostly my own designer/interpretor it was more free and I could choose fabrics based on my own thoughts on what would work. Before I went to London I sat down with one of my tutors and had a great discussion on what to look for and how much to buy. My strategy going on the day was to buy lots of different textiles with no need to buy more than a few meters of each. Even with the help of a prior tutorial and my design print-outs, I was still grateful for a friend who went with me. And after totalling up the final budget I was only about £6 over my allowed budget, which I think is a great success.

Here are the fabrics I found:


I am very pleased and confident in my fabric choices. I think  I got a lot of textiles that will laser cut well and some that can work on both costumes, not just one. The only thing I am concerned about is quantity. I don't want to start creating the dresses and discovering that I don't have enough of one or two textiles, but that is a risk I am going to have to take. This trip has been an exciting start to creating the dresses!


No comments:

Post a Comment