Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bloomer's First Fitting


 I decided after pattern drafting my bloomers that I would make a toile and have a fitting before cutting into my top fabric. I already knew how I wanted the front waist band to look based off of a pair I looked at the National Theatre Hire Department. What I really wanted to look at was how to do the back. On the National Pair there was a small stand with snaps and on a similar pair with a flat front it had elastic. I was hoping to do a drawstring back because I knew it would be comfortable and easy to fit but I wasn't sure if it would work as well as elastic or snaps. I also wanted to check the length before cutting into my top fabric.
Bloomers Front
Bloomers Back
Bloomers After Length Alteration
Evaluation:
Here are the calico bloomers for the first fitting. I was very pleased with the result. The drawstring back worked well and they seemed like a roomy fit, considering she just slipped them on over her jeans. The only adjustment I made was to the length. It was actually a significant amount of fabric which is why it was good to do during the toile fitting because it will save me some top fabric. I think this was a good exercise for me to do. It only took me a morning to mock up the toile and I was able to gain insight into how I will make the actual pair technically and how it will look visually. I'm not sure if I would have done a toile if my model wasn't so readily available because it would mean more scheduling, but since I've gone through the process of pattern drafting to toile I feel I could make another pair of bloomers in top fabric without having a fitting first.

No comments:

Post a Comment