Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dyeing Chemise and Bloomer Fabric

Samples in a Row with Original on the Left
For my chemise and my bloomers I wanted to use the same fabric for both and wanted a soft champagne type of tone. I knew the fabric needed to be light and delicate. It became very apparent that I would not be able to find the type of fabric I wanted in the colour I was looking for. I resigned myself to getting a white 100% cotton voile that I knew would dye well. I decided to do a home dye to fit a busy schedule and the limited availability of the dye room. I had two dylon dyes: Powder Pink and Dark Brown. I did about 6 small samples at various times and dye strengths. The first sample I left in for 8 minutes and there was almost no change. I added more pink and left in for 10minutes with almost no change as well. After that I added an equal amount of pink and brown dye and left samples 3 to 6 in for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and 40 minutes respectively. After looking at them in a row samples 3 and 3 are by far the most successful because they aren't too dark and nice mix of pink and brown. I was anxious that there wouldn't be enough dye to do all 5 meters of my cotton so I emptied the tub and started again. I think this wasn't the brightest idea because I mixed new dyes and they were slightly stronger than the ones I had used on my samples. I think the brown was stronger than the pink rather than being even; if they had both been the same strength it would have been fine because only the amount of time it was in the dye would have changed. But I panicked when I put the dye in and saw how fast it was picking up the brown. Instead of leaving it in for 10 minutes like I had planned I took it out after 5 because I didn't want it to get too dark. I initially felt the fabric was too dark in colour but as it was drying it got lighter and I was really pleased with it. Unfortunately I had a similar mishap when I got into university as I did with the lace. In the lighting at uni (which is more of a natural true light) the fabric was very pink instead of being a nice champagne. To make it more brown and the shade I was looking for my tutor suggested tea dyeing it a little. I used 6 bags of Twinning's Lady Grey which made my room smell amazing. And let the bags steep for a little and put the voile fabric in for 30 minutes, took it out rinsed it and put it back in for another 25 minutes. This result was much closer to the colour I wanted and a much better fit for my costume and design.

On Left: Original Fabric Swatch on design/ On Right: Finished Dyed Fabric Colour

No comments:

Post a Comment