Saturday, February 18, 2012

Making the Bloomers

I just wanted to make a quick not on how I made the bloomers for my own record. The cotton voile is very thin and I wanted it to be a bit denser than the chemise. I decided to use two layers of the cotton instead of just one. I really wanted these to be completely finished inside and out, preferably without any over-locking. I feel like all those threads would show through some how and keeping a common technique with the chemise I decided to French seam them. I made both the inside and the outside 'pair' first and then put one in the other and top-stitched down each side leg to hold them together. I feel like this was the best way I could have done them because all the seams are neat and tidy and match and the layers aren't pulling on each other and there is still a lot of movement. The two layers are attached together at the outside side seams as well as at the waistband so they won't move apart at all.This also gave me a great opportunity to improve my French seaming abilities working on both straight and curved seams.

I also wanted to strengthen the waist-band without it showing through or looking heavy. I did a few testers with a few different fabric strengtheners. I tried: white stayflex, cotton vilene, and a dress-makers interfacing. All three did their job but the vilene was the best. It was still light but didn't show through as much. It was worth doing a few samples to get the best material to work with the bloomers.
Sample with different backings

No comments:

Post a Comment