Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Organza Pocket Hoops



These are organza pocket-hoops that one of my tutors made. They are a really lovely delicate pair of 18th century underwear. When I decided to make my hoop sheer my tutor recommended silk organza and a plastic boning called Triple-flex; these are the same materials these pocket hoops are made of. I was able to really look at how they were made to take into consideration when I make my hoop skirt. Here are the main facts I gathered from these hoops:

* They are made with just one layer of organza with organza casings where the boning slides through.
* All seams are french-seamed or finished with a zig-zag stitch: no overlocking.
*Waist band only has organza in it with no stabilizer and is slip stitched although you can see the seam allowance that sits in the waistband was zig-zaged on either end before being sewn together.
* It is attached at the waist-band with a hook and bar.

Although my hoop skirt will not be similar in shape to these pocket hoops they will probably take a similar making process. First hand research like this is always invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment