Saturday, February 18, 2012

Dying the Bias Binding

 For the Princess Colour's Corset I decided on a cotton bias binding. I was originally thinking of doing it in black bias binding to match Princess Silhouette's but it was too bold a look. And investigating my historical research it was colour matched rather than a different colour. I could have made my bias binding out of my top fabric but I had problems with the pattern showing through the underside and I didn't want to take the risk of it looking sloppy. The bias binding I found was a cream and I thought that compared to the swatch I had brought it was a good match. Once I was able to put it against the corset it was clear it wasn't the best match. So I did a bit of tea dying to make it a little closer.
Tea on Left, Bias Binding on Right





Dyed Bias Binding
It took two bags of Twinnings Lady Grey and about 7 minutes to dye the binding. I made sure to work in my kitchen in the afternoon when there was a lot of natural light so I could really gauge the colour. I think this was a successful solution for my bias binding and I think it matches well with the colour of the corset. Most importantly it doesn't stand out which is mostly what I wanted the bias binding to do; blend in.

No comments:

Post a Comment