Thursday, February 23, 2012

Second Underwear Fitting



I am very happy with this second fitting. It was the second fitting for the corsets and the first for all of the other undergarments. It was exciting to see how everything came together.

Princess Silhouette Undergarments
Worn by Camilla
I was very pleased with how everything came together for this costume. The corset fit very well after the adjustments from the first fitting and the bloomers came out well in the top fabric. I was also pleased with the size and length of the hoop skirt on my model. There are still a few adjustments to be made however. The corset tabs need to be adjusted somehow, something I will be working out more thoroughly on a mannequin. The bloomers need to be finished on the ends with some black lace but I was happy to see they hit the right spot on her leg even without the lace. And the cage needs the ribbons to decorate and the wire needs to be secured permanently so they will not shift around. 


















 Princess Colour Undergarments
Worn by Rose


This fitting was also very positive in it's outcome. This was the first fitting for the corset in top fabric and it fit really well. The busk created a bit of a ridge in the center so I will be cutting that down a little to create a nice straight line across. The chemise looked how I wanted it to with the corset over-top but needed some adjustments when going from the mannequin to my model. The straps kept slipping so I will be using very thin elastic to correct that. Aside from a few areas needing finishing the hoop skirt worked well. The second rung down is just a little short so a longer cut will be inserted but other-wise it fits well. I also think on this hoop skirt the length is very appropriate for the design and the length of the chemise finishing a little higher also works with my sketch.


 
 












Evaluation:
These were very positive and motivating fittings. It was much easier just having one costume to focus on and I think I will continue to only do so until maybe the last few fittings for the dresses. What was most satisfying for me was to see the high contrast between both corsets. The difference in shape is such a huge part to creating the characters and differentiating them, I feel much more confident that it will be seen clearly in the shape. I think I was also more pleased with the standard that these garments were at for a fitting; seeing everything in the top fabric gave me a much better visual of how the finished products will look. Comparing my two different roles (one as maker and one as designer) I can say I feel good about both. As a designer I am pleased with my fabric choices and how the pieces work together and aesthetically mesh. As a maker I am please that the garments look like the designs and fit the models appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment